For TED2013, we've leveraged TED's expanding footprint to do something special: a worldwide talent search that brings together the most remarkable lineup in TED's history.
From April to June 2012, we held TED events in 14 cities on six continents seeking to uncover new talents, voices and ideas the world needs to hear: emerging trailblazers, undercelebrated sages, hidden geniuses. We came back with almost 300 new voices. And we expect that at least 20 speakers in our lineup will come from this global search (meanwhile, several other Talent Search talks will be posted to the TED.com homepage -- watch for them!).
As with every TED, we will weave together a potent mix of presentations, covering creativity, invention, business, science and the most pressing global issues. But the way we're doing it represents a leap of ambition, and a commitment to the power of the crowd.
We're betting on this process delivering the most thrilling TED conference in history.
Of course, we will still pull in many well-known speakers the old-fashioned way. And we'll still use all our curatorial instincts to weave the pieces together effectively. But make no mistake. This TED will be special!
The TED2013 experience includes:
- A four-day stage program featuring TED's famous 18-minute talks, plus music, comedy, dance, short talks, video and other surprises.
- TED University, onstage sessions where TEDsters share their own expertise, from "How to negotiate a term sheet" to "How to break a board with your bare hands."
- TED Fellows Talks, where you'll hear about projects and visions of the next generation of world-changers.
- Evening events, art exhibits, tech demos, test drives and other immersive experiences
- Caffeine-fueled conversation breaks between sessions
- Social Spaces, where you can watch TED in an informal setting -- on couches, beds, beanbag chairs; while blogging, tweeting, eating, networking ...
- The TED Gift Bag
- Online tools for connecting with other attendees, before and after the conference
- TED Book Club mailings