Whatever you’ve been meaning to build, or learn to build, you can. Innovation happens when you tinker, explore and play. TEDActive is about finding opportunities to awaken latent creativity and let you rediscover the joy of making something with your own hands. Attendees can sign up for workshops to learn to use the tools in these spaces or dig in and share skills by leading their own workshops. Think bike repair, hacking, sculpting in cardboard, 3D printing, homebrewing beer and more.
Included in the TEDActive mix are TED leaders from around the world who are helping to foster TED's mission of spreading ideas: Volunteer translators, independent TEDx event organizers, TED Prize wish contributors and past TED Fellows. Special events create opportunities for these community members to meet face-to-face and exchange best practices.
A standard pass to TEDActive costs $3,750.
What attendees say
"[TEDActive is] a conference that seeded ideas and provided a setting populated with participants who cared enough to engage in them, work on them, and possibly even enliven them."
-- David Ng, Educator
"The organizers at TEDActive … created an experience that made me feel more at home than in my own office chair."
-- Ian Bryan, President, Sensible City
"This is no ordinary conference. It stretches you to go where you would likely not go if just browsing the talks on TED.com. Most people listen actively to every single talk. And the beauty comes in the meaning you make for yourself as you listen to talks on a great diversity topics and begin to see patterns; to make connections; to find learning where you might least expect it."
-- Lizzie Crudgington, Learning & Innovation Process Designer
"Leaving Palm Springs; TEDache setting in. Hard to unplug from that electrifying pipeline connected to the heart of humanity. #tedactive"
-- Nancy Giordano, Futurist and TEDxAustin organizer
"I've dubbed TEDActive 'summer camp for the accidental polymath.'"
-- Ross Evans, Founder of Xtracycle
The TEDActive 2014 experience:
- A live-hosted program featuring TED's famous 18-minute talks, plus music, comedy, dance, short talks, video and other surprises
- Monday and Thursday are for TEDYou, where TEDActivists share their own expertise in short talks.
- Pre-conference workshops for volunteer translators, TEDx hosts and other TED heroes
- Art exhibits, games, tech demos, workshops, test drives, evening events and physical experiences in the great outdoors
- Conversations, connections and idea exchanges between sessions
- The TED Gift Bag
- Online tools for connecting with other attendees, before and after the conference
- TED Book Club mailings